The Cathedral of St. Joseph in Hartford, Connecticut, United States, is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford. Dedicated on May 15, 1962, it stands on the site of the old cathedral destroyed by fire on December 31, 1956. Designed by Eggers & Higgins of New York City, it rises 281 feet from the sidewalk. The cathedral is located on Farmington Avenue just outside downtown Hartford across from the Aetna building.
The bell tower contains 12 carillon bells cast in the Netherlands by Petit & Fritsen. They range in weight from 225 pounds up to 3850 pounds. The cathedral itself is made of concrete with the outside covered in Alabama limestone. The cathedral is noted for its large expanse of spectacular stained glass windows crafted in Paris, and the ceramic tile mural behind the altar depicting “Christ in Glory,” which is the largest in the world. The capacity of the cathedral is about 1,880 people including the two side chapels. There is also a lower church below the upper church.